VP Binay: Inaction
on illegal settling is an offense
By OVP Media
June 22, 2013
PASAY CITY – Vice President Jejomar C. Binay said inaction by local officials on the proliferation
of illegal settlers in their jurisdiction can be considered an
“Local government official
ako nang matagal. Alam namin na may responsibilidad kami diyan.
Inaction is an offense,” he said during an interview Friday at the
Before becoming vice
president, Binay served Makati City as mayor for 24 years. He
currently chairs the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating
Binay warned that officials
who allow the number of illegal settlers to balloon in their area may
be meted with administrative sanctions.
“I suppose at least may
warning ‘yon. Kasi inaction ‘yon, ‘yong tolerance,” he added.
The Vice President, however,
acknowledged that the country’s policy on putting an end to illegal
settling had been inconsistent.
“Noong 1986 hanggang sa
‘90s, ilang beses binago. Oops, extension ng one year. Oops, walang
tatanggalin. Oops, ‘yon nga, may eleksyon. May mga nangangako na hindi
kayo (paaalisin). Gagawan ng paraan, etcetera, etcetera. Yun naman ang
mga nakaantala dun,” he said.
Binay stressed that the
government should be firm in its policy on how to address the issue.
He also appealed to
prospective barangay official candidates not to use the elections in
October to tolerate illegal settling.
As of 2011, Metro Manila has
104,219 informal settler families (ISF) living in danger areas,
President Benigno Aquino III
had approved a P50 billion budget for the housing program for ISFs.
The program, which is
intended to be completed by 2016, provided for in-city, near-city and
Currently, the National
Housing Authority has 10 multi-level low-rise housing projects in
various stages of development and construction that will generate some
6,426 housing units for Metro Manila ISFs.