Leyte SP passes
resolution to postpone Barangay, SK elections
By Philippine Information Agency (PIA 8)
TACLOBAN CITY – The Sangguniang Panlalawigan ng
Leyte, during its first session on July 6, passed a resolution
pushing for the postponement of the barangay and SK elections set for
October this year.
Vice-Governor Mimyet Bagulaya, the members of the Provincial Board
unanimously passed the SP resolution taking into consideration that
the country has just been through a synchronized election and the
people in local communities are still reeling from the divisiveness
caused by the May 10 elections and needed time to heal.
The basic premise of
the postponement is cost and savings to government, the board members
Considering the budget
deficit the Aquino Administration is facing, the postponement of the
elections is called for and instead to use the funds for the elections
for priority programs instead, the board members added.
These programs, the
board members said, are the construction of more classrooms, delivery
of health services and housing.
Earlier, the Liga ng
mga Barangay in the
passed a resolution urging the Congressmen in the five districts of
Leyte to introduce a bill to postpone the October 2010 barangay
The resolution which
was signed by the majority of the members of the League noted that the
October 2010 barangay and SK elections is to close to the just
concluded May 10 elections.
In 2007, the
government spent at least P2 billion to hold barangay elections. This
year’s elections could cost more than P3 billion. Plus, the government
spent about P13.5 million for the conduct of the May 10, 2010
The country has
42,025 barangays, according to the Department of Interior and Local
Government's National Barangay Operations Office. Each barangay has
seven barangay kagawad or seven per barangay which means a total of
294,175 barangays officers. Electing the same number of SK officials,
all in all, there are 672,400 barangay and SK officials to be elected.
EV records 37 dengue
deaths this year, 882% higher than same period last year
By Philippine Information Agency (PIA 8)
TACLOBAN CITY –
There are already thirty seven people in Eastern Visayas who have
died due to dengue, the Department of Health Region 8 informed.
There is already a
total of 3,862 cases of dengue with 37 deaths that have been recorded
across Eastern Visayas from January to July 3 of this year, Mr. Boyd
Cerro, the sentinel nurse of DOH Region 8 said.
Of the 3,862 cases
reported, the biggest number of cases came from Tacloban City which
has already a total of 1,014 cases.
Although the local
health authorities admitted that they are alarmed over the increase in
dengue deaths in the Region, they said that there is no reason to
declare a dengue outbreak. There is only clustering of cases, they
The DOH 8 have issued
a dengue alert to all health officers in the Region because of the
onset of the rainy season. In fact in June, the Health Department
conducted Dengue Caravan in all the provinces of the Region.
Mr. Cerro said that
health workers have also been advised to constantly remind communities
of the dangers of dengue.
He said that based on
the DOH 8 assessment, the increase in dengue cases is largely
attributable to the communities' neglect of the health department's
advisory for the prevention of dengue.
Department of Health Region 8 Director made repeated appeals on the
local government units especially the barangay officials to again
conduct surveillance of the breeding places of mosquitoes in their
communities, and the sustained cleaning of the surroundings and every
respective homes must clean their own homes and surroundings.
The Regional Health
Director reminded about the Four O’clock Habit which every community
Seven out of 10
Filipinos commend PNP performance
By Philippine Information Agency (PIA 8)
TACLOBAN CITY –
Seven out of 10 Filipinos or 70.72% give their thumbs up on the
overall performance of the Philippine National Police.
This is the result of
the survey conducted by the by the Asia-Pacific Center for Research
(ACRE) in May 2010 to provide the
PNP a comprehensive data on how its personnel and the services they provide
impact on the people and the community they serve.
When asked about this
during the recently conducted Harampang Ha PIA, Police Region 8
Director Rey Lañada attributed the survey result to the continuing
process of transformation in the PNP organization.
expressed his happiness and satisfaction with the high approval rating
of the PNP.
“This shows that the
gains of the various transformation programs and initiatives that we
have been doing in the PNP are already taking roots,” Director Lañada
General Lañada also
thanked the people for having learned to trust the police as their
partner in the maintenance of peace and order in the community.
The good Director also
assured the public that he will not think twice in giving disciplinary
action to any member of the Police Force who refuses to answer the
call of duty or abused his power over a civilian.
He also told the local
media to report to him the names of the abusive members of the PNP and
assured them that he will look into the matter.
This is a proof that
the Philippine National Police is determined and is very serious in
its transformation program.
For the study, ACRE
used a population sample of 4,400 respondent-households covering all
regions, all provinces and a statistical sample of cities and
municipalities. Of the total number of respondents, 50% are male and
the other 50% are female whose ages range from 16 to 60 years old and
ACRE said 10% of
those surveyed belong to AB and C socio-economic class, while 70% fall
under the D socio-economic class, and the rest, or 20% are in the E
LMP elects Palo mayor
as new Leyte chapter prexy
Media Relations Center
July 11, 2010
TACLOBAN CITY – Palo
Mayor Remedios “Matin” L. Petilla was chosen unopposed by members of
the League of Municipalities-Leyte Chapter (LMP-Leyte).
Thirty six local chief
executives coming from different municipalities of the province
attended the first reorganizational meeting of the league where, aside
from the league chapter president, new set of officers were also
chosen who would sit as officers in the next three years.
During the course of
the election for the rest of the new set of officers, the league gave
the newly elected president authority to nominate the rest of the
officers to include the Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer,
Assistant Treasurer, Auditor, Public Relations Officers, Sergeant at
Arms and Board of Directors.
This set of officers
is mandated under the league’s by-laws.
Nominated and approved
by the league as their new officers were Javier Mayor Sandy Javier as
Vice-President, Alangalang Mayor Loreto Yu as Secretary, Lapaz Mayor
Lesmes Lumen as Treasurer, Hilongos Mayor Jose Roble as Assistant
Treasurer, Leyte Mayor Noli Ysidoro as Public Relations Officer and
Palompon Mayor Ramon Oñate and Calubian Mayor Doroteo Palconit as
Sergeant At Arms.
Chosen to sit as Board
of Directors were Tanauan Mayor Agapito Pagayanan for the First
District; Burauen Mayor Fe Renomeron and Capoocan Mayor Federico
Carolino for the Second District; Villaba Mayor Claudio Larrazabal for
the Third District; Kananga Mayor Elmer Codilla for the Fourth
District and Hindang Mayor Elpidio Cabal Jr. for the Fifth District.
Meanwhile, in an
interview after the elections, Mayor Petilla said she sees no
influence of the governor in her election as the new provincial
chapter president of the League of Municipal- Leyte Provincial
She disclosed her son,
Leyte Governor Carlos Jericho Petilla, did not even know of her
interest to run until it was revealed in a media interview weeks
before their respective formal oath of office end of June.
Even then, she added,
she remained confident of the mayors’ support as she knew most of them
and worked with them when she sat as governor of the province for a
period of nine years.
“I was banking on the
support of the mayors. I know them and I talked to them before this
assembly was set,” Mayor Petilla said.
The lady mayor got
unopposed in her bid as league provincial chapter president with
Babatngon Mayor Chari Chan giving the nominations.
As earlier reported,
Carigara Mayor Trinidad “Ebbie” Apostol also expressed of her interest
to run but in later interviews revealed that she can back down on her
plan just to maintain the unity and cooperation of the different local
chief executives in the province.
Apostol was noted to
be “not in attendance” during the said LMP assembly held at the
Governor’s Hall of the Leyte Provincial Capitol.
Mayor Petilla said
she does not know the reason for Apostol’s absence but added “it would
have been nice if she was here”.
Neophyte mayor from
remote Matuguinao gains knowledge from the DILG training
CATBALOGAN CITY – Neophyte mayor from remote Matuguinao town thanked the
Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) for offering a
training dubbed as "My First 100 Days".
The training was aimed
to help newly-elected local chief executives get acquainted with their
tasks and responsibilities.
DILG offered the
‘course’ through the Local Government Academy (LGA) led by its
Executive Director Marivel C. Sacendoncillo.
Melissa dela Cruz, the
youngest mayor of Samar acknowledged DILG for the training.
The young lady mayor
was reluctantly thrown into the political arena when her father, the
late Carlos dela Cruz was gunned down in their own home in Catbalogan
She accepted the
nomination from his father’s party with the firm resolve to do her
homework and follow advice from her elders.
“The party gave me a
big responsibility and I am willing to sacrifice,” the young dela Cruz
confided to PIA in an earlier interview.
Young and single as
she is, dela Cruz put her personal agenda aside for his father’s
commitment to Matuguinao.
Eager to learn good
governance, she welcomed the offer of DILG to enroll in the training.
“I learned a lot from the seminar,” the young Matuguinao Mayor said in
a text message.
“The seminar was a
great help to us newly minted officials in making a good jumpstart of
our administration, good thing that DILG and LGA came up with a
program like this,” she further said.
Among the modules in
the training was Financing LGU Operation to provide the local chief
executives with an overview of the LGU Fiscal Management.
They also learned the
sources of local revenue and alternative external sources of revenue,
how to formulate the LGU financial strategies, thus promoting
financial accountability of LCEs, among others.
But the young lady
mayor admits, “Nothing beats real ‘learning and discovery’ as I
dispatch my duties and responsibilities as duly elected mayor of
Calbayog mayor’s first
executive order: creation of an adhoc committee to construct Calbayog
By NINFA B. QUIRANTE and RON RICAFORT
CATBALOGAN CITY – As Calbayog City Mayor Reynaldo Uy reports to his office, he immediately
released his first Executive Order.
Mayor Uy last Friday
signed Executive Order No. 1, creating an Ad Hoc Committee tasked for
the creation of the Calbayog City Hospital.
The EO cited proper
health service delivery as one of the primary objectives of the LGU.
It added that it is
the human right of every Filipino to have access to proper health
care. It also cited that the only government-owned hospital in
Calbayog has become ineffective and failed miserably; whereas the
private hospitals currently serving Calbayog charge exorbitant fees.
The City Government
believes that proper medical and hospital care should be given
especially to less fortunate Calbayognons.
The Ad Hoc Committee
shall be tasked to search for an area where the City Government could
construct a hospital; also to look for appropriate funds needed for
The same committee
shall search for a doctor/surgeon to head the hospital and take charge
of the staffing.
Dr. Sylvia De Guzman (OIC,
City Health Officer) is chosen as Chairman with Vice Chair Ms.
Geronides Mancol (City Budget Officer), members included Chair of the
Sanguniang Panlalawigan (SP) Committee on Health, Chair of the SP
Committee on Appropriations and Engr. Gil Lentejas (CPDO), Mr.
Joselito Montealto (City Assessor), Atty. Oscar Hugo (City Engineer),
Engr. Arnol Trani (Chief of Staff, Congressional Office), Mr. Emerlito
Montealto (City Administrator) and Mr. Federico Resente, Jr. (City
As of this writing,
the committee is considering a 7-hectare lot in sitio Talahib in
Barangay Trinidad, Calbayog City as the future home of the (initially)
25-bed city hospital. (PIA-Samar)
President Aquino must
think twice in appointing Rosales as CHR chief – Karapatan
QUEZON CITY – The
human rights watchdog Karapatan expressed dismay over the impending
appointment of former Akbayan representative Loretta Ann Rosales as
chairperson of the Commission on Human Rights (CHR).
“Our experience bears
out that Ms. Rosales has shown bias against human rights violations
victims and advocates such as Karapatan,” Marie Hilao-Enriquez said,
Enriquez, arrested and
detained during martial law, cited the class action suit against the
Marcoses filed by the Filipino victims in which former Rep. Rosales
created divisions among the victims by agreeing to a compromise
settlement with the Marcoses and establishing a separate group of
victims that would choose monetary settlement over justice for the
“Ms. Rosales will not
be objective in handling human rights violations cases,” she added,
“and will not have sympathy for victims of human rights violations and
their relatives. Her dismal performance as Chairperson of the
Committee for Human Rights at the House of Representatives marked with
prejudice against victims affiliated with our groups and network will
taint, if not diminish, the independence of the Commission.”
Over the last years,
CHR has gained its credibility because of the willingness of the
victims and different human rights institutions to cooperate. On this
note, Ms. Rosales will not be able to earn the trust, confidence and
cooperation of the victims and human rights organizations affiliated
must think twice in appointing Ms. Rosales. He must heed the call of
the CHR to subject the selection of the CHR chairperson to a
transparent selection process in which human rights organizations
truly working on the ground will also be allowed to voice out their
choice,” Enriquez concluded.
Solon bats for
"absolute transparency" in use of pork barrel
QUEZON CITY – Amid
the brewing dispute over the proposed cutback in the pork barrel of
members of Congress, Cavite Rep. Elpidio Barzaga Jr. is pushing for
"greater transparency and public accountability" in the use of the
funds, in accordance with President Aquino's pledge to fight
"We should encourage
if not require the full publication of all pork barrel-funded
projects. This way, the public will be able to see clearly how their
representatives and senators are spending the funds," Barzaga said.
"Let us publish the
specific use of the allocations every six months in national
newspapers, and post them on the web sites of the House and the
Senate, for all to see and scrutinize," Barzaga said.
constituents are not happy with the way their representative is
spending the money, they can remove the official in the next
elections. If there are anomalies such as ghost or overpriced
projects, they can readily file the appropriate complaints," he said.
Barzaga said his
proposal "is also consistent with the new administration's promise to
"In fact, this is
precisely the 'openness in matters of public interest' being sought by
the proposed Freedom of Information bill," he added.
Quezon Rep. Lorenzo
"Erin" Tañada III, spokesperson of Mr. Aquino's Liberal Party, wants
to lower by as much as P10-billion the Priority Assistance Development
Fund (PDAF) of legislators to help the new administration cover the
budget deficit and avert the imposition of new taxes.
However, the incoming
House minority leader, Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman, immediately rejected
the proposed pork barrel cutback, calling it "flawed, cosmetic,
counterproductive and anti-poor."
"Personally, I have no
problem with slashing the pork barrel, as long as it done fairly and
equitably, to include the executive branch, in the spirit of
burden-sharing," Barzaga said.
stressed the need for the new administration to draw up a definite
strategy to address this year's projected P300-billion gap between
government spending and income.
"If the deficit is
P300 billion, should we bridge it with P150 billion in extra revenue
collections, and a P150-billion budget cut? Or should we just lessen
the budget by P300 billion?" Barzaga said.
Barzaga pointed out
that Kim Henares, the new chief of the Bureau of Internal Revenue, had
already vowed to increase annual tax collections by P150 billion, by
simply running after tax dodgers, corrupt agents and smugglers.
Barzaga also noted
that Mr. Aquino's advisers previously claimed they expect to generate
up to P400 billion in annual savings as a result of reduced
"We need sound and
actionable strategies to achieve the P150-billion increase in revenue
collections without having to impose new taxes, and to realize the
P400 billion in savings," he said.
Police recovers 2 more
cocaine bricks in Eastern Samar
By Philippine Information Agency (PIA 8)
TACLOBAN CITY – The
Anti-Illegal Drugs Special Operations Task Force of the Philippine
National Police Region 8 continuous to score high in its drive against
illegal drugs, as it recovered two more cocaine bricks weighing about
two kilograms during its massive crackdown operations in Maydolong,
PNP 8 Director Rey
Lañada informed that at around
4:00 o’clock in the afternoon of July 5, the
in Maydolong Municipal Police Station led by Chief of Police Vergel
Untalan recovered more than two kilograms of cocaine from one person
identified as Eledio Plego of Barangay 7, Maydolong,
The recovery was
effected after the said PNP conducted massive information drive. The
said two bricks of cocaine which weigh more than two kilograms are now
in the custody of the Maydolong Police station.
The latest recovery
brings to a total of thirty-five (35) the number of bricks of
suspected cocaine weighing more or less thirty five kilograms,
recovered by the joint team.
The 35 cocaine bricks
recovered have a total street value about P196 Million, Director
It would be recalled
that the elements of the Philippine National Police have recovered 33
cocaine bricks amounting to P185 million and apprehended six persons
who were selling the same, in two separate buy bust operations in
Eastern Samar on June 30 and July 1, 2010.
The group acted
with the guidance of PDG Jesus A. Verzosa and PDDG Edgardo Acuna, Task
Force Commander of AIDSOTF, who ordered the intensified operations
after receiving information that huge volume of cocaine are being sold
by a group of fishermen in Eastern Samar, Director Lañada added.