Leyte signs MOA with
OFW for establishment of Help Desk
administrator Carmelita Dimzon and Leyte governor Jericho sign
MOA on the establishment of OFW Help Desk between the Government
of Leyte and OWWA-RWO8 in a simple ceremony held at the
Governor’s Hall, Tacloban City on April 13. Assisting
administrator Dimzon is OWWA 8 regional director Evangeline
Filamor. (VINO R. CUAYZON)
April 13, 2012
TACLOBAN CITY – The
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration Regional Office-8 officially
closed an agreement with the province of Leyte for the establishment
of an Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) Help Desk including in the
various municipalities in the province.
The MOA was signed by
OWWA Administrator Carmelita Dimzon and Leyte Governor Carlos Jericho
L. Petilla where the governor emphasized that “constant
communications” between the OFWs and their families should be
maintained especially with the advantages that new technology now
Administrator Dimzon, the set up of OFW Help Desk was one of the
marching order of President Benigno Aquino III in looking after the
welfare of overseas workers.
Dimzon explained that
in recognition of the importance of a multi-sectoral approach in
bringing in their programs and services closer to OFWs and their
families in various parts of the country, OWWA has been partnering
with the different LGUs for the establishment of Migrant OFW Help
Desks in every locality.
She stressed that in
directly linking with the LGUs through the OFW Help Desks, the
government could bring its program and services closer to the OFWs and
their families, down to the grass roots level.
Under the set-up, LGUs
will be designating a focal person for the said program and OWWA will
be providing capacity building training and seminars to ensure that
such focal person has the right capability and information to handle
the concerns of OFWs in the area and knows how to link such concerns
to concerned agencies such as OWWA, POEA and Department of Foreign
Petilla said that they can likewise forge partnerships with OWWA in
setting up communication centers where families of OFWs based locally
can regularly connect and interact with their loved ones working
The governor said
present communication facilities make it easier, cheaper and faster to
talk with families and loved ones abroad.
“We are ready to
provide them with the equipments, if this is one way that we could
help,” Gov. Petilla said.
General visits 8th ID
Tabaqurrro (left) with BGen. Layug during the formers visit to
the 8ID camp in Catbalogan City. (photo by EMY BONIFACIO)
CATBALOGAN CITY –
The Eastern Mindanao Commanding Lieutenant General Arthur Tabaquero
visited the 8th Infantry Division (8th ID) Storm Troopers Division,
Camp Lukban, Catbalogan City, Wednesday, six days before he retires
from an active military career that spans decades of committed and
dedicated service to his calling.
Tabaquero served as
commanding general of the 8th ID (the longest serving commanding
general of the division) before transferring to the Eastern Mindanao
Command (EastMinCom). He will be retiring on April 17.
Tabaquero, member of
the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Class 1978, will reach the
mandatory retirement age of 56 this month.
He assumed his post as
chief of EastMinCom in November 2010.
“Saving the best for
last,” Tabaquero was visibly exalted as he gave his remarks.
“During my two years
at the 8th ID, I was able to accomplish much in so far fighting the
remaining members of the rebel group, the New People’s Army,”
“I have accomplished
things that were expected of me as the commanding general then,” he
“And whatever things
that I had accomplished during my stay here, it was due to the strong
support I got from the local government units and the people in this
“I hope that you will
support your new Commanding General here as you have supported me,” he
When asked if he will
accept any government service position, Tabaquero said, "I wish that
there is an offer for me to help the administration, but there is no
formal offer yet.”
But for now, the
decorated officer will have to take a vacation and spend time with his
family. He added that the new system of the administration is to
ensure that the AFP will be more effective in the service.
(with A. Ebalde)
VP Binay hails
Filipina win in Sokor parliament
By OVP Media
MANILA – Vice
President Jejomar C. Binay has congratulated Jasmine Lee, a Filipina
married to a Korean national, for winning a seat in the South Korean
Presidential Adviser on Overseas Filipino Workers’ (OFW) Concerns,
said Lee’s win in elections last April 11 will help advance the
interest and welfare of some 50,000 OFWs, as well as all migrants in
The Vice President met
Lee during a dialog with leaders of the Filipino community in Seoul
when he attended the Nuclear Security Summit last March 26-27.
“Jasmine Lee brings
pride to every Filipino for her passionate advocacy of migrant rights.
As a member of Parliament, she will surely be a strong voice not only
for the Filipino community but for all migrants in South Korea,” Binay
The Vice President
recalled that during the dialog, Lee wrote down all the concerns
raised by the leaders, involving employment and family concerns.
"She has very strong
ties to the Filipino community and you can feel her sincerity during
the dialog. She might be a famous media personality and a naturalized
Korean, but she is first and foremost a Filipina," he said. Lee became
a naturalized Korean in 1998, three years after she married Korean Lee
Dongho and moved to South Korea.
Her husband died a few
years ago while trying to save their daughter from drowning.
Lee ran for
Parliament under the ruling Saenuri Party which included her in the
list of 46 candidates for the proportional representative seats in
“Budol” gang strikes
anew in Borongan
By RPCRD, Police Regional Office 8
CAMP RUPERTO KANGLEON,
Palo, Leyte – PNP PRO 8 Regional Director, PCSupt Arnold Rayala
Revilla warns public of the notorious “Budol-budol” gang modus
On April 10, 2012 at
about 3:00 PM, an 18 year old teenager was victimized by a “budol-budol”
gang losing her bank savings to swindlers.
According to reports,
a certain Cristelle Catindoy Pombo, 18 years old, single and a
resident of Barangay Songco, Borongan,
Eastern Samar personally came to Borongan Police Station and reported that
she was swindled by two (2) unidentified females.
The victim relates
that, after she had withdrawn P30,000 from the ATM of
Metrobank-Borongan Branch, she was approached by the suspects and
asked for an assistance to help them find a vehicle for hire to
transport their assorted fruits to Catbalogan City. Until when they
have agreed to find one and went to SSS Office located a meter away
from the bank for further transactions.
The suspects then
asked P18,000 from the victim in exchange for entrusting to her their
bag said to have contained P50,00 and instructed her to wait for their
text message. Cristelle waited for three (3) hours until she decided
to open the bag only to discover that it only contained assorted cut
papers and realized that she was duped by the two female suspects.
Elements of Borongan
Police Station immediately conducted an investigation to the said
place for the possible identification and arrest of the suspects but
it yielded negative result.
“Don’t talk to
strangers, presence of mind, vigilance and report immediately to your
nearest police station any suspicious acts so as not to become a
victim by this budol-budol gang”, said Revilla.
Promotion of General
Segovia another affront to human rights – Karapatan
QUEZON CITY – Karapatan deplores and protests the Aquino government’s promotion of
Maj. Gen. Jorge Segovia, commander of the 10th Infantry “Agila”
Division and will soon replace the outgoing chief, Lt. Gen. Arthur Tabaquero of the Eastern Mindanao Command.
Karapatan chairperson said that the “promotion clearly shows the
government’s low regard for human rights and its insensitivity, if not
outright callousness, to the demand for justice of victims of rights
violations. Maj. Gen. Segovia was one of the respondents to the P15M
damage suit filed by the Morong 43 health workers for their illegal
arrest, detention and torture under the Arroyo regime. He is also
among the “missing” respondents who have yet to be served the court
summons several months after such were issued by the Quezon City
Regional Trial Court. The court server supposedly cannot locate the
whereabouts of Segovia.”
Karapatan said that
the promotion came at the heels of the refusal of Brig. Gen. Herbert
Yambing of the Office of the Provost Marshall General of the AFP and
the Philippine National Police, through Records Management Division
Chief Manuel Gaerlan, CEO VI, to locate and provide information on
Segovia and other respondents both from the AFP and the PNP such as
Col. Cristobal Zaragosa, Col. Aurelio Baladad, Lt. Col. Jaime Abawag,
Maj. Manuel Tabion and P/Supt. Marion Balonglong.
the action of the AFP and PNP officials is a mocking slap on the “rule
of law” that this government has been extolling to high heavens and
impede the delivery of swift justice for the health workers who have
suffered for 10 months in the hands of the perpetrators from these
institutions. “This is simply ridiculous and revolting! Is this a case
of a highly visible military official who cannot be located by the
court and whose whereabouts are unknown to the Provost Marshall or is
it a case of a “missing” General who is promoted? “
The Segovia promotion
shows the Aquino administration’s stance in pursuing justice for
victims of human rights violations under Arroyo. This is the same
reason why the health workers, together with other victims and their
relatives, have taken up the task to file the countercharges against
Arroyo and her top military and police officials, instead of waiting
for the still-unfulfilled campaign promise of Aquino,” she commented.
Aside from Segovia, Zaragosa, Baladad, Abawag, Tabion, Balonglong and
former President Arroyo, former Defense Secretary Norberto Gonzales,
Gen. Victor Ibrado, and Gen. Delfin Bangit.
scored Aquino’s tolerance on GMA’s generals. “Aside from promoting
Segovia, the Aquino government is annoyingly lackadaisical on the
arrest of former Maj. Gen. Jovito Palparan, Jr. Palparan was charged
with serious illegal detention, kidnapping and other rights violations
against Karen Empeño and Sherlyn Cadapan, two UP students who remain
missing to this date. “Almost four months after the issuance of
warrant of arrest against former General Palparan, Jr., he remains
scot-free from arrest and prosecution. This kind of “Noynoying” is
gravely insulting to the victims and their families, to say the
least,” she concluded.
Cops nab 35 year old
male for illegal drugs and ammos
By RPCRD, Police Regional Office 8
CAMP RUPERTO KANGLEON,
Palo, Leyte – PNP PRO 8 Regional Director PCSupt Arnold Rayala
Revilla is on a fast track mode to collar and arrest perpetrators in
its intensified campaign against illegal drugs.
Operatives of Tacloban
City Police Office led by PCInsp Santi Noel Gaspang Matira arrested a
35 year old male for drug possession during a buy-bust operation
conducted on April 9, 2012 at about
10:30 PM along
fronting Villa Leonardo Inn, Barangay 1, Abucay here, reports said.
Reports identified the
suspect as one Dominador Robasto Omega alias “Jun Omega”, 35 years
old, widower, jobless and a resident of Saint Andrew Subdivision,
barangay 78 Marasbaras, Tacloban City.
A police officer posed
as buyer bought from Omega one (1) small sachet of suspected “shabu”
marked as “DO-1”. Also recovered from his possession and control a
caliber .45 magazine assembly loaded with six (6) live ammos, cash
amounting to P2,582.00, a unisex wallet with driver’s license and Sangguniang Barangay Member Identification Card of Dominador Robasta
Omega Jr. and a photocopy of an OR-CR.
Suspect is now
detained at the Tacloban City Police lock-up cell and a case for
violation of RA 9165 (Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002) and RA 8294
(Illegal Possession of Ammunitions) are now filed in court against
The PNP is set to
clean the region against all forms of criminalities, if not all, at
least minimize and be in control against this menace.
VP Binay slams LP
hypocrisy, intrigues; closes door on GMA alliance
By OVP Media
MANILA – Vice
President Jejomar C. Binay today slammed the “hypocrisy” of some
officials of the Liberal Party (LP) for their "desperate attempt" to
link him to former president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
"Look who's talking.
Those who are saying those things now were rabid supporters of GMA
before. Hindi ba dati lagi kayong 'Yes mam, Yes GMA'? Ngayon akala mo
kung sinong mga nagmamalinis," the Vice President said.
“Nagdanas ako ng
malaking hirap. Yung hirap na pinagdaanan ko kay GMA – patong-patong
ang aking kaso tapos ako pa ngayon ang pinagbibintangan,” he said in a
separate interview with ANC.
Binay clarified that
they have no plans of forming an alliance with Mrs. Arroyo or her
“UNA is about ending
politics as usual, that after the election, talunan ng bakod sa
administration party,” he said.
“Elections are about
choices. No party can claim monopoly of good intentions and good
people willing to serve. This is the essence of democracy,” he added.
Binay said some of
those sowing intrigues were once rabid supporters of Mrs. Arroyo.
“E kung sino man sila,
nakita ko kayo ‘Wow GMA! Mahal na mahal ka namin, GMA. GMA, ikaw ang
tunay na nanalo.’ Kayo po yun ah. Hindi po kami yan. Ngayon ang lakas
ng loob niyong pagbibintangan niyo kami diyan,” he said.
Binay headed the
United Opposition (UNO) during the Aquino administration while the LP
was part of the administration coalition that voted against the first
impeachment complaint against Mrs. Arroyo over the "Hello Garci"
wiretapping scandal, which disclosed massive cheating during the 2004
"Where were they when
FPJ was being cheated? Where were they when we in the opposition were
being harassed by the Arroyo administration?" he said.
The Vice President was
persecuted during the Arroyo administration, with the Department of
the Interior and Local Government and the Office of the Ombudsman
attempting to suspend him in October 2006 and May 2007. Binay had
defied both orders.
He also chided the
said LP officials for sowing intrigue between him and President
Benigno Aquino IIII. “Nakalimutan na yata nila na I am part of the
Cabinet at 100 per cent ang suporta ko kay Pangulong Noynoy,” he
The Vice President is
the Chairman of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council
(HUDCC) and the concurrent Presidential Adviser on OFW Concerns. He
also chairs the government’s anti-illegal recruitment and anti-human
trafficking task forces.
Binay said he owes a
debt of gratitude to President Cory Aquino for naming him mayor of
Makati after the 1986 EDSA Revolution. “Ako naman ay uulit-ulitin ko
sa ating mga kababayan - kinikilala ko pong malaking utang na loob na
kung ano si Jojo Binay ay nagsimula po naman ito kay Pangulong Cory
Aquino at sa kanyang family. So ako po ay isang taong marunong tumanaw
ng utang ng loob,” he told ANC.
He also recalled
having dinner with the President in Malacanang Tuesday night and
attending a meeting until 11 pm, and he never felt any unease between
him and the President.
Binay said the sudden
“inquisition” from the LP was apparently prompted by the creation of
the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA), which will field a senatorial
ticket in the 2013 elections.
pinasasagot ako. Ano ba ito- inquisition? That I have to answer? E ano
naman ang answer ko e obvious naman yun. I will repeat what I said.
Mahirap magpaliwanag sa mga nagbibingi-bingihan. Mahirap namang
magpakita sa mga nagbubulag-bulagan,” he said on ANC.
He said that those who
were forcing the issue were “insecure” of the names being included in
the UNA line up.
“Kaya ho kung merong
na amin pong coalition, ito po ay nagpiprisinta ng mga tao na may
kakayahan, gustong maglingkod sa bayan. Di po pa nakatutuwa na
maraming pagpipilian. Kesa naman ho sa totalitarian countries na iisa
lang ang kandidato,” he said.
Moreover, the Vice
President reiterated that the text blast messages that were sent out
on Good Friday and Black Saturday being were not from him or his camp.
“Hindi naman kami
siguro ganoon kahina ang kaisipan na magpapalabas kami ng mga ganoong
statement,” he said.
With the latest Ph
population count, RH advocates urge Congress anew: Pass the RH bill
QUEZON CITY –
Following results of the 2010 Population and Housing Survey by the
National Statistics Office (NSO), a group of leading reproductive
health (RH) advocates calls on Congress anew to pass the highly
clamored RH bill.
Ramon San Pascual,
Philippine Legislators Committee on Population and Development
Foundation (PLCPD) Executive Director reminds Congress of its
obligation to enact a law that will institutionalize the provision of
a comprehensive reproductive health education and services.
“The figures revealed
by the latest NSO census, underscores the need for a firmer and more
comprehensive provision of RH education and services,” said San
Pascual. “These figures say that all the more, the government needs
population and development planning, which can be provided through an
RH law,” he explained.
population growth rate of 1.9 percent, which is still one of the
highest in Asia, is the result of the absence of comprehensive RH
policy aggravated further by the lack of access to family planning
education and services by the poor.
Citing the 2008
National Demographic and Health Survey, San Pascual laments that
thirty three (33) percent of the total pregnancies among Filipino
women are either mistimed or unplanned. “It is disheartening that as
we grow rapidly, the number of babies born comes from the poor, who in
the first place are not ready to carry the burden of having yet
another child or children for that matter. “
San Pascual notes that
the Philippines could manage our population growth rate if our
lawmakers and policymakers will bravely address the issue of unplanned
and mistimed pregnancies by providing RH education and services.
“It is expected to see
population growth rate going down, but we should not look at the
figures per se. We should understand that population is still growing
fast,” he said. “And the fact is, more babies are born from poor
families, from those who do not have access to comprehensive RH
education and services,” he stressed.
House Bill 4244 or the “The Responsible Parenthood, Reproductive
Health and Population and Development Act” and its Senate counterpart
SB 2378 are awaiting approval on second reading in both chambers of
Congress. Said bill is endorsed by the academe, interfaith based
organizations, labor and employers group, women, youth, peoples, and
civil society organizations.