designated OIC Assistant Regional Director Virgilio Eduarte
(left) and OIC Samar First OIC District Engineer Alvin Ignacio.
SFDEO heads to hold
By ARDEL S. MALANOG
June 2, 2016
CALBAYOG CITY – By
virtue of Special Order No. 61, Series of 2016 DPWH SFDEO District
Engineer Virgilio C Eduarte is designated as the new Officer-In-Charge
Assistant Regional Director of DPWH Region VIII.
Signed by DPWH Secretary
Rogelio L. Singzon, SO 61 directs Engr. Eduarte to perform the duties
and assume the responsibilities appurtenant to the position of ARD.
This position is previously held by Engr. Edgar B. Tabacon who is now
designated as OIC Regional Director by virtue of Special Order No. 60,
Series of 2016.
Engr. Eduarte started as a
C/M Foreman for DEO of Quezon City while taking his second
undergraduate degree in 1991. Since then, he went through different
positions in DPWH. On January 17, 2006 he was designated as the OIC-District
Engineer for DPWH-SFDEO, Calbayog City where he held the office for
almost three years before he was promoted to the position of District
Engineer of Samar I on August 20, 2008.
Another SFDEO head
designated to a new position is Assistant District Engineer Alvin A.
With the reassignment of DE
Eduarte as OIC-ARD, incumbent DPWH-SFDEO ADE Alvin A. Ignacio is
designated as Officer-In-Charge for the office of the District
Engineer of the same DEO by virtue of Special Order No. 62, series of
SO 62 directs Engr. Ignacio
to perform the duties and assume the responsibilities appurtenant to
the position of District Engineer. Engr. Loreto M. Cedro will then
assume as SFDEOs’ OIC-ADE by virtue of Special Order No. 63, Series of
Engr. Ignacio has been with
DPWH since February 01, 1990. He started as a Civil Engineer Aide
before he got the position of Engineer II on January 01, 1991. He was
promoted to Engineer III position eighteen years after and had held
the position for almost four years before he was finally promoted to
Assistant District Engineer on March 26, 2013.
All resolutions were signed
on May 18, 2016 and took effect immediately.
extends completion of all DepEd school building projects to July 2016
By CHELSEA C. QUIJANO
June 2, 2016
NAVAL, Biliran –
Although the district encountered a little delayed in the
implementation of some school building projects in the Province, the
Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) - Biliran District
Engineering Office (BDEO) is rushing the completion of the remaining
School Building Projects for the full implementation of the K-12
Program of the Department of Education (DepEd).
District Engineer, David P.
Adongay Jr. said that they have incurred delay due to the late release
of result of sub-soil exploration test on some school sites and the
additional works undertaken by the contractors on excavation of
“Most of the contractors met
difficulty on excavation of structures as they encountered big rocks
causing delay on the projects,” explained Adongay.
Out of 30 school building
projects under the different batches of the DepEd’s Basic Educational
Facilities Fund (BEEF), 11 are already completed, 15 are on-going and
4 are not yet started which posts 59.25% of its project accomplishment
as of May 31, 2016.
“The solution is to advise
contractors to render overtime work even during night time to meet our
commitment to have this school buildings usable before the opening of
classes while some others will be completed by the end of June”, said
In totality, there are 118
classrooms for Senior High School in 19 school sites, 31 classrooms in
Elementary and Junior High School in 8 school sites and 3 Technical
and Vocational Facilities/ Workshop in 3 Sites.
Adongay disclosed that all
school building projects will be completed more or less on the 1st
week of July, 2016.
governor Sharee Ann Tan-Delos Santos while delivering her
message during the Opening Ceremony of Candidate Soldier Classes
- 419 & 420 - 2016 at 8ID Jungle Base, Brgy. Fatima, Hinabangan,
Samar on June 1, 2016.
246 new Candidate
Soldiers of 8ID took allegiance to Philippine Flag
By DPAO, 8ID PA
June 2, 2016
CAMP LUKBAN, Catbalogan,
Samar – Two Hundred Forty-Six (246) Candidate Soldiers took an
impressive oath taking during the opening ceremony of PACSC Classes
419 & 420 - 2016 at the Jungle Base of 8th Infantry (Stormtroopers)
Division, Brgy Fatima, Hinabangan Samar on June 1, 2016.
The candidates, after
passing through competitive Physical, Neurological, Psychological
examinations, will undergo training which will prepare them for future
role of performing duties in the Philippine Army.
The ceremony was graced by
Hon. Sharee Ann Tan-Delos Santos, Governor of Samar, as the Guest of
Honor and Speaker with Maj. Gen. Jet B Velarmino AFP, Commander, 8ID,
as the military host. Col. Cesar M Idio, Assistant Division Commander,
8ID, Division Staffs and parents of the new breed of soldiers were
also present at the said occasion.
Gov. Sharee Ann Tan-Delos
Santos mentioned in her speech, “The challenge is just about to begin
for these chosen few and valiant men we have with us today. I am also
honored to be with the parents, relatives and friends of these
Candidate Soldiers for with their support, they have entrusted the
lives of their sons to be trained by the Stormtroopers and transform
them into men, equipped with necessary skills in making them capable
of defending and serving the people of Eastern Visayas”.
Further she expressed her
gratitude to Maj. Gen. Jet B Velarmino for the unwavering commitment
in pursuit to peace and development in the province of Samar.
Maj. Gen. Jet B Velarmino
AFP, in his message to the trainees, “A career in the military is
unique, challenging and physically demanding.” He subsequently thanked
Gov. Tan-Delos Santos for being an active partner to the 8ID’s
initiatives and highly regarded as part of the team 8ID.
“Your Philippine Army at all
times adheres on its mandate as a human rights advocate, peace
builders and partner in nation building in the Region-8,” Maj. Gen.
two (2) storey-four (4) classroom school bldg., Trinidad NHS
Tomaligues Annex School, Calbayog City, Samar.
SFDEO released FY
2015 BEFF status report
By ARDEL S. MALANOG
June 1, 2016
CALBAYOG CITY – Four
weeks before School Year 2016-2017 starts, Department of Public Works
and Highways - Samar First District Engineering Office (DPWH-SFDEO),
released the status report of the infra projects under FY 2015 Basic
Educational Facilities Fund (BEFF).
Based on the report dated
May 15, 2016, 28 out of the 105 school building projects were
completed. This includes 19 school buildings in Calbayog Division and
9 school buildings in Samar Division. 57 SBPs are still on-going
averaging to 67.05% physical accomplishment. 43 out of these on-going
projects are in Samar Division and 14 are in Calbayog Division.
Due to the projects location
which could bring forth unforeseen damage to the equipment and
construction personnel, triple handling of materials and the
difficulty of transporting the same to the site, 14 SBPs were returned
to the Department of Education comprising 8 SBPs in Samar Division and
6 SBPs in Calbayog Division.
In Samar Division, 5 SBPs
were awaiting for the approval of the modification of materials.
Should the request be denied, these projects will then be returned to
Samar Division due to hitches in the handling of materials and
difficulty of transporting the same to the site.
With the full swing
implementation of the K+12 Curriculum, DE Virgilio Eduarte, ADE Alvin
Ignacio together with the concerned section chiefs will continue
monitoring these SBPs to ensure prompt accomplishment of these
projects in answer to classroom shortage.
grants historic import permit for Medical Marijuana, Inc.'s Real
Scientific Hemp Oil into Paraguay for treatment of epilepsy
Real Scientific Hemp Oil (RSHO)
Cannabidiol (CBD) Hemp Oil demand grows as countries including Brazil,
Mexico, Puerto Rico and Paraguay authorize its import from the U.S.
May 31, 2016
SAN DIEGO, CA –
Medical Marijuana, Inc. (OTC PINK: MJNA) is pleased to announce that
its flagship product Real Scientific Hemp Oil (RSHO) has been
authorized by Paraguay's government for import into the country as a
prescription medication for refractory epilepsy.
Paraguay's first-ever import
permit for RSHO marks the fourth country in Latin America, after
Brazil, Puerto Rico, and Mexico, to approve MJNA's cannabidiol (CBD)
hemp oil for indications including epilepsy, Parkinson's disease,
chronic pain, and cancer.
The first shipment of RSHO
into Paraguay was authorized for 15-year-old Mathias Alejandro
Gonzalez, who was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder and
suffers from Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome (LGS), a rare type of epilepsy
that doesn't respond well to seizure medications.
"We are extremely proud of
the wonderful news that RSHO has been approved for import by the
government of Paraguay," states Dr. Stuart Titus, Chief Executive
Officer of Medical Marijuana, Inc. "In the U.S., we enjoy the ability
to easily access RSHO(tm) and many other CBD hemp oil products online.
However, in other countries, we must respect their regulations and
handling of cannabis-based products including hemp."
"MJNA is a 'Company of
Firsts'," Titus continues. "It took many years to establish and
streamline a standardized commercial system while developing the
world's first CBD hemp oil pipeline. We are extremely grateful to our
investors who also saw and continue to see the vision of CBD hemp oil
access in the U.S. and around the world."
In February of 2015,
HempMedsÂ® received authorization to export Real Scientific Hemp Oil-X
(RSHO-X) to individuals in Mexico with government-issued import
permits. Raul and Mayela Elizalde from the Por Grace Foundation, based
in Mexico, helped explain their daughter Grace's need for the
cannabidiol (CBD) hemp oil product for a case similar to that of
Mathias Gonzalez's family in Paraguay – and were instrumental in the
process of securing the permit. Since 2014, the government of Brazil
continues to issue import permits for RSHO, as well as subsidize
payments for the product under the federal government's healthcare
system – and also waive import taxes.
Climate agency resolution, calls on Duterte administration to lead PH
to a coal-free future
May 30, 2016
QUEZON CITY –
Greenpeace welcomed the Climate Change Commission's (CCC) recently
released Commission Resolution 2016-001, which calls for a "national
policy review” of the country’s energy policy in order to reduce the
country’s dependence on coal, implement a swift and just transition to
renewable energy (RE), and pursue the development to a green economy.
Greenpeace expects that the
results of this review of the energy sector may incentivize not only
investments in RE, but also lay the groundwork for job growth
following the signing into law of the Philippine Green Jobs Act of
2016, giving additional incentives for the creation of green jobs.
Amalie Obusan, Country
Director of Greenpeace Philippines, said: “It’s about time that the
Philippine government agencies come together to address the escalating
climate problem facing Filipinos. Our global demands will only have
the proper moral ascendancy if we walk the talk and are also applying
our same recommendations at home.”
Greenpeace is looking
forward to the Duterte Administration putting this resolution into
practice, since incoming President Rodrigo Duterte himself has stated
his support for a transition to renewable energy sources for the
country in his response to the Green Thumb Coalition's Presidential
Survey during the election campaign: ‘The Duterte Administration
agrees with the eventual phase-out of coal power plants and other
plants that use harmful fuels and steer the country for more
investments in RE’
Greenpeace pointed out that
renewable energy sources abound in the Philippines, but that their
development has been hampered by bureaucratic and administrative
hurdles in policies and business models that favor fossil fuels
“The Philippines is at the
forefront of climate impacts. Filipinos lose their lives, livelihood
and opportunities year after year as a result of extreme weather
events. We know we cannot afford to go on a path of development that
is not sustainable and which will negate our economic gains in the
“The government has an upper
hand in our fight against climate change at the national and
international level. In our struggle for climate justice, we need to
ensure a low-carbon energy path, and join the global movement in
shifting to a fossil fuel-free future,” Obusan added.
group welcomes Climate Change Commission resolution challenges
incoming President Duterte for sweeping reforms in energy sector
May 27, 2016
QUEZON CITY –
Philippine Movement for Climate Justice (PMCJ), a nationwide climate
justice coalition expressed its appreciation for the latest Climate
Change Commission resolution calling for the review of the Philippine
energy policy and harmonization of regulation on new and existing coal
plants “in accordance with a low carbon development pathway.“
"This resolution is
consistent with the Philippine commitment to contribute to the global
effort to keep temperature to below 1.5 degrees, and a significant
development in the face of the long standing demand by many
communities and peoples organizations in the Philippines to shift away
from coal energy,” commented Ian Rivera, the National Coordinator of
the broadest climate justice coalition in the Philippines.
The Philippines led the
Climate Vulnerable Forum, a group of governments from 20 countries, in
successfully pushing for the inclusion in the Paris climate agreement
of the aspirational goal to limit global temperature rise to 1.5
“The urgency of addressing
the climate crisis is deeply felt by our people, having experienced
massive devastation from extreme weather events related to climate
change, such as super typhoons and super-El Niños. It is only right
that we lead in the effort to address change – not only in words but
in action” said Rivera. “We hope this resolution will actually lead to
the reversal of the Aquino government’s policy of expansion of coal
energy, and a swift transition to renewable and clean energy for
people and communities,” he added.
"This resolution is long
overdue. We have been fighting against coal plants and coal mines for
a long time, being witness to the horrific effects of coal projects on
communities, on people’s health and livelihoods, on our local
environment. We are also against coal energy because it is one of the
leading contributors to climate change" said Mr. Roldan Gonzales,
Executive Director of Gitib, Inc., and a PMCJ campaigner from the
President-elect Duterte to take this further, beyond a review, and
make it a priority of Presidency to issue an Executive Order
suspending plans, permits and construction of new power plants in the
country. Mindanao is host to many of the 27 new coal fired power
plants currently in the pipeline“.
Ms. Pines Arcega, convenor
of Defend Zambales and a PMCJ anti-coal campaigner in one of the
frontline communities from Luzon, echoed this challenge. “A review of
energy policy and harmonization of regulations on new and existing
coal plants is not enough. Our communities, our country, have suffered
enough. Government should act immediately to put a stop to dirty
energy. We need an executive order for a moratorium on new coal plans
and coal mines in place in the first 100 days of the new
prepares to summon 47 big oil companies to account for climate change
May 26, 2016
QUEZON CITY –
Petitioners in the landmark human rights complaint against fossil fuel
companies today submitted to the Commission on Human Rights of the
Philippines (CHR) copies of their petition in compliance with CHR’s
May 10 Order, which also enjoins the respondents to answer within 45
days upon receiving their copies. The petition, which CHR will send to
the 47 top fossil fuel companies worldwide, seeks investigation into,
and accountability of, these companies for climate impacts that
endanger people’s lives and livelihoods, as well as that of future
The complaint is the first
of its kind in the world and is being brought forward by typhoon
survivors, advocates and non-governmental organizations, including
Greenpeace Southeast Asia. The petitioners are supported by more than
31,800 Filipinos out of the more than 128,000 global online
“This is a big, bold step
for the Philippines as it is at the forefront of climate impacts. But
this courageous undertaking can only succeed with the unifying support
of government agencies, communities, civil society organizations and
other human rights institutions from all over the globe. Climate
Justice is not the Philippines’ fight alone, the outcomes of this
petition may mean a better life for countless souls, but we all have
to do this together.” said Anna Abad, Climate Justice Campaigner of
Greenpeace Southeast Asia.
The petition covering
climate change and human rights was brought to the CHR initially in
September 2015. By December, the CHR announced that it will open an
investigation in 2016 using a National Inquiry approach.
Last May 10, the CHR
released an Order directing the petitioners to reproduce and submit
copies of the petition, including supporting exhibits and annexes, for
sending out to the 47 companies, which includes Chevron, ExxonMobil,
BP, Royal Dutch Shell, and ConocoPhillips, and which are part of the
90 legal entities that have contributed the lion’s share of cumulative
global CO2 and methane emissions to the earth’s atmosphere, as
identified by peer-reviewed scientific research.
The petitioners are
expecting that these big oil companies will be served their Summons
within the next few days, after which they have 45 days to reply to
“We demand justice. These
big oil companies should acknowledge their accountability for the
impacts of their irresponsible business activities on the lost homes,
lives and livelihood of those that are at the mercy of climate change.
Filipinos are among the most vulnerable, and we hope that the
investigations of the CHR will finally be able to right some wrongs,”