People have the right to know
determine extent of Napoles’ influence in gov't
By Office of the Senate
March 21, 2014
PASAY CITY – In pushing for the probe of the P900-million Malampaya
scam, Senate Majority Leader Alan Peter “Companero” S. Cayetano said
the Filipino people have the right to know the extent of the influence
wielded by detained businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles in government and
the amount of money her bogus NGOs siphoned from the public coffers.
Cayetano said Napoles’ involvement as a principal in the plunder of
the P10-billion pork barrel scam may just be the “tip of the iceberg,”
and a full investigation into the Malampaya funds scam may reveal a
more complete picture of her operations in other government funds.
“P900 million ang pinaguusapan dito. Sinabi ni Ms. Tuason na may P240
million na inihatid sa bahay niya. Meron na rin daw hawak ang COA na
report dito. So why not expose this to the public para gumana na rin
ang gulong ng hustisya? Ayon sa COA report, napakarami pang NGOs,” the
Cayetano also reiterated his call to the Aquino administration to weed
out the contacts of Napoles who are still in government like Manuel
Jarmin, who is currently the acting director of the Livestock
Development Council of the Department of Agriculture.
Pork barrel scam whistleblower Benhur Luy had earlier testified that
he and Napoles were introduced to former National Agribusiness
Corporation (NABCOR) president Allan Javellana by Jarmin, who is
listed as a nominee of an admitted Napoles partylist group Samahan ng
mga Mangangalakal sa Ikauunlad ng Ekonomiya (SMILE) in 2007.
He is also an incorporator of Jimmy's Bar and Grill and Reserval 08,
both corporations of Napoles’s husband, Jimmy.
Cayetano earlier asked the Blue Ribbon panel to commence its
investigation into the Malampaya funds scam based on his Resolution
No. 271. Reports indicate that P900 million drawn from the Malampaya
fund which is intended to aid farmers heavily affected by typhoons
Ondoy and Pepeng in 2009 had been diverted into private pockets.
“Dapat ipakita natin sa tao na wala tayong sasantuhin dito.
Administrasyon man o oposisyon. Para yung mga reporma natin sa
Ombudsman at sa DOJ ay magawa,” he said.
The senator explained that the way things are going, it would take as
much as 15 years to resolve the cases relating to the pork barrel scam
unless reforms are made in the country’s criminal justice system, like
the designation of special criminal courts that will conduct daily
trials for high-profile cases and heinous crimes.
“Kung inosente, dapat 2-3 years pa lang napalaya na. Kung guilty,
dapat makulong na kaagad,” Cayetano said.
“This is the reality. Number one, we have to expose, expose, and
expose. Number two, dapat may mangyari sa kaso after ma-expose. Dapat
ibigay ng gobyerno ang mabilis na hustisyang idinadaing ng mga tao.”